Monday, November 19, 2007

Queen of Subtlety

Before leaving for the day on Sunday, I talked to one of the grade school elementary teachers, basically telling her that I don't think a lot of the students are learning anything. Most of them just listen to the CD that comes with their book and memorize that. They don't bother reading what they see. So when I point to I'm going to school, they go through what they have memorized and hope what they say is correct: This is my sister. I have a pen. Where is the monkey?

After telling the teacher my concern and some possible solutions, she nodded her head like she understood what I was talking about. Then she pointed to one of the students and started talking about him. Everything she said about him was right. He isn't a good student. Instead of speaking he just grunts, hoping that is close enough. As bad a student as he is, I started to feel sorry for him as I was talking to the teacher. She kept pointing to him and looking at him as she spoke. And he saw it all!

A problem I have with a lot of the young female populace in Taiwan is that they do a really good job at covering up just how subtle they are trying to be. Let me explain.

Whenever the teachers (or just about any of the ladies on the train) are talking about me, they get really close to each other, cover up their mouths, and whisper to each other. Now that would be fine. In fact covering up their mouths isn't even necessary because I can't read lips in Chinese. But no, that isn't enough for them. As they whisper and cover their mouths with one hand, they stare at me and point to me with their other hand. Then they're shocked when I ask them if they need to talk to me.

THAT'S REALLY SUBTLE!!!

Poor Wang Li Chen (aka Bill). Imagine watching as one of your teachers points, stares, and talks about you with a less than friendly look on her face. I don't see it doing anything for his self-esteem. The little guy (well, not that little, the bastard could stand to lose a few pounds) probably feels like he is being picked on.

If you feel sorry for Bill, then send him a letter and let him know that he isn't being picked on. His address is 67 Angping Rd, 5F, Taipei 10051 Taiwan. Or call him at 02-3375-9837 and tell him that he has no reason to be paranoid.

Jason

No comments: