Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Say What?

Does anyone else have a problem with the International Phonetic Alphabet for English? Has anyone ever actually used it? Does anyone even care?

If I haven't lost you yet, and you're still reading, then perhaps you know what I'm talking about. I realize it is international and that linguists want something we can all use as the main guide for pronunciation no matter the language. But I wonder if it is really useful as a learning tool.

I can understand using a symbol to represent th, ch, sh, et cetera. However, in English, do we really need the IPA symbol j representing y? Buy is pronounced /bai/, guy is pronounced /gai/, but main is pronounced /mein/. Shouldn't main be pronounced mahyn? And mein, well, let's not go there. This just seems to confuse students.

Hell, now I'm confused.

Let's not talk about this anymore and look at a picture.



Ooooooo.......tall.

Jason

No comments: