Monday, October 22, 2007

Nelson Shin

I saw part of a CNN interview with Nelson Shin this morning before class. Anyone who grew up in the eighties watching those afternoon cartoons knows exactly who he is. I know him best as the guy from Transformers. He was a producer for the animated television show and directed the 1986 film. He co-founded Akom Production Co., Ltd. in 1985 in Seoul, Korea, which did animation work for American shows such as X-Men, The Tick, Batman: The Animated Series, and Tiny Toon Adventures.

The report was mainly about the work his studio does for The Simpsons. After watching The Simpsons Movie, I noticed Shin was credited as Animation Producer or Supervisor, I don't remember exactly. I actually smiled when I saw that. Even when I was eight years old, I recognized his name anytime I saw it. Sometimes I feel like this guy doesn't get the credit he deserves in the States.

I know a lot of you are probably thinking that he is partly responsible for the surge of cheap and low quality animation flooding the industry. I cut this guy some slack because he actually worked on some of the better shows. He is also an animator, so he not only knows the business aspects of the industry, but the technical aspects as well. Not many people can claim that. He worked for DePatie-Freleng in the 1970's as an animator as well as some of the early Star Wars movies. The man has talent.

Plus, he directed The Transformers: The Movie in 1986. I'm afraid in the future this will be considered his crowning achievement. He did so much more behind the scenes that just doesn't get recognized.

And that's today's lesson, kiddies. For homework, I want everyone to write a 450 word essay on Phil Roman's contribution to the animation industry.

Jason

No comments: